Maxim Trépanier scores a pair as Concordia takes down Carleton

OTTAWA, ON – After a strong performance in their home opener against McGill, the Carleton Ravens were looking for another strong performance as the Concordia Stingers entered the Ice House for the first time since Jan. 25, 2020.

Early adversity would exist for the Ravens as rookie Aiden Wagner would get sent off for a mysterious slash on a neutral zone faceoff. Adam Campanelli would score on the ensuing net mouth scramble giving Concordia a 1-0 lead. Carleton’s penalty kill got tested early, having to kill off two penalties.

After the Ravens cleared the zone and started the counter-attack, they were rewarded with a powerplay of their own as Stingers forward Zach Zorn would go off for hooking. With about 40 seconds left in the powerplay, Ravens D Simon Kerr released the shot from the point with traffic in front to tie the game at 1-1.

It would be a penalty-filled first period as it featured five combined penalties between the two teams. It would also be dominated mainly by the Stingers as they controlled play with their tenacious forecheck and always had two men on the puck, which put pressure on the Ravens’ defence. The Stingers looked most dangerous on their 1st powerplay with rapid passing in quick succession and always getting good looks.

Adversity would strike the Ravens again as less than a minute into the second period, a harmless shot from the point would get tipped in the high slot by Stingers F Phelix Martineau to give the Stingers the lead. The Ravens would fight back again as Ravens F Aaron Boyd would pot it home to tie the game at 2-2.

With the momentum generated from that Aaron Boyd goal, he would get himself another and give the Ravens the lead after Stinger’s goalie Thomas Sigouin would make back-to-back unreal saves during some 4v4 play.

The Stingers would not back down as Gabriel Proulx would one-time a pass top shelf coming off the bench to tie the game at three and silence the crowd. The Ravens would once again have to fight through the adversity as Isiah Campbell would outwait Mark Grametbauer to tuck it home, which gave the Stingers the 4-3 lead. The Ravens would answer that adversity with a goal by C.J. Garcia, one of the key returnees for the team, as he snaps it high blocker to tie the game 4-4.

Oliver Castleman would tap home a powerplay goal to give the Ravens the lead 5-4. The Stingers would have a great response hemming the Ravens in their end, which has been a strength of the Stingers throughout this game.

Castleman would find himself on the scoresheet once again as he would score on the rebound from Sam Meisenheimer’s shot to give the Ravens a 6-4 lead.

The craziness would continue as Stingers F Maxim Trépanier would score with 28.7 seconds left in the 2nd period to cut the Ravens lead down to 6-5.

“That fifth goal really hurt. You go into the 3rd with a two-goal lead; you feel a lot better. We played well for the first 10 minutes [of the 2nd period], and then they get that last goal to tie it, and it’s anybody’s game in the overtime or shootout.” Coach Shaun van Allen said post-game.

The Stingers would start the 3rd period with tremendous pressure, and it would be hard for the Ravens to break the puck out with that constant pressure. As the period progressed, the Ravens would settle in defensively and improve on their zone exits.

It took one mistake as the Stingers would take advantage of a bad defensive line change for the Ravens to make as Maxim Trépanier would score to tie the game at 6-6.

“We got to play our system better. We have to take a lot more pride when getting scored against,” Van Allen said.

The teams would go back and forth trading possessions in overtime, but the OT frame wouldn’t solve anything. Max Trépanier, however, would be the solution as he scored in the shootout, and the Stingers won a barn burner 7-6.

Leave a Reply